Build the next breakthrough app on the world's largest IT platform.
Welcome to the Spiceworks Breakthrough App Challenge: a chance to build the next breakthrough IT app on the world's largest IT platform.
Why is this the challenge for you? 5 reasons.
- Win $$$: Win $65,000 in cash and prizes up for grabs across 4 categories.
- Be Recognized: Apps will be judged by giants in the IT space: all 4 Spiceworks founders (Jay, Scott, Greg & Francis) and the VP of Products (Tabrez); a major VC player (Ravi Mohan); and a big-time press influencer (Ken Hess).
- Get Visibility: Winning apps will be promoted to the Spiceworks Community, 6 million IT pros strong.
- Find A Market: Win, lose or draw, your app could be sold or given away in our marketplace, the Spiceworks App Center.
- Grow Your Career: Want to come work for one of the top workplaces in the country? A top app gets you an interview with the Spiceworks dev team.
What is Spiceworks?
Spiceworks helps IT pros everywhere tackle their IT day with a single integrated desktop app that gives them network inventory, help desk and mobile device management tools they need to support their company’s employees.
What is a Spiceworks Platform app?
Spiceworks Platform Apps are very similar to Facebook canvas apps. Spiceworks creates a frame that puts your app directly in the Spiceworks desktop. Apps need to be hosted so they can be easily accessible from anywhere.
To get started, you will need the Spiceworks Developer Edition.
What kind of apps can I build?
You can build any app you want. The best apps will be the ones that use Spiceworks inventory and help desk data and functionality in new and useful ways. Here are some example Spiceworks Platform apps available in the App Center:
- Hatch Project Management: Integrated project management app for the Spiceworks platform: create Projects and Tasks to share across your team and keep everyone on track.
- Helpdesk Invoice: Create and send professional invoices automatically from Spiceworks help desk tickets.
- Network Map: Visualize your network: show the current devices on your network and how they're connected.
Looking for other ideas? Here are some examples of apps Spiceworks users have asked for:
- Satisfaction surveys for help desk tickets
- Data visualization of devices on the network
- Floor plans with the physical location of devices
- Gamification of help desk ticket responses
- Charting the depreciation of IT hardware
- Managing the maintenance time cycles for IT hardware
- Many more we haven’t even thought of yet
Other key links:
- Getting Started with Spiceworks (New to Spiceworks? Start here)
- Spiceworks Platform API documentation
- Spiceworks Breakthrough App Challenge Group (interact with other developers and the team creating the App Center and APIs.)
- Extending Spiceworks Group (where IT pros talk about the types of apps and functionality they'd like to see in Spiceworks)
- Spiceworks App Center (check out some of the awesome apps that have already been built for the Spiceworks Platform)
This challenge is open to:
- Individuals at least 18 years of age at the time of entry;
- Teams of eligible individuals;
- Organizations (up to 50 employees).
- Your app must be hosted on a public cloud platform. You will need to provide one or more URLs for your app.
- Your app must use the Spiceworks Platform API.
You will need to provide some additional materials in your submission.
- Icon for your app
- At least one image/screenshot of your app in action
- Short description of how your app provides value to an IT pro
- Tagline and description of your app
Make sure your app is available at no charge to judges for evaluation during the judging period.
How to enter
- Click “Register” to sign up and receive the latest updates.
- Download the Spiceworks: Developers Edition to start developing your app.
- Visit the Spiceworks Community to learn what sort of applications SpiceHeads love and use.
- Create your app.
- Submit your app!
Founder & CEO - Spiceworks
Founder & Executive Board Member - Spiceworks
Founder & CTO - Spiceworks
Founder & VP of Development - Spiceworks
VP of Products - Spiceworks
Managing Director - Shasta Ventures
Value to IT pro
How does this app provide value to an IT pro?
Includes creativity, originality, and “wow” factor of the idea.
Focuses on the technical aspects of the app.
How well was the idea executed? Is the app easy to understand and use?